Areas of Law
Our priority practice areas and special projects include:
- Consumer Law - Mortgage foreclosures, utility shut-offs and restoration of utility services, predatory lending such as payday and car title loans, and some bankruptcies.
- Disabled Offenders Economic Security Project (DOES) - Provides disabled offenders being released from Wisconsin prisons with help securing housing, food and other benefits to help prevent them from returning to prison.
- Driver's Licenses, Professional Licenses, Criminal Records and Employment – The Road to Opportunity project at Legal Action helps clients solve many types of licensing and record problems that can be barriers to employment, such as the loss of a driver’s license, an occupational license (for example, nursing, childcare provider, or school bus driver), inaccurate criminal and arrest records, child support arrears, or evictions and foreclosures. For more information call 414-278-7722 any day from 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
Help with driver's license recovery also is available through the The Center for Drivers License Recovery, a public-private partnership that includes Legal Action, Wisconsin Community Services, Milwaukee Area Technical College, and the City of Milwaukee Municipal Court. For information call 414-297-6407 any day from 9:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.
- Family Law – Protective restraining orders, divorce, custody, child support, and other family law problems for domestic violence victims.
- Government/Public Benefits (Welfare) and Health Law - Wisconsin Works (W-2), Child Care Assistance, BadgerCare, Food Stamps, Title 19 or Medicaid, Kinship Care, Unemployment Compensation and other government benefit programs.
- Housing Law – Eviction prevention and landlord-tenant problems in Public, Section 8, and private housing and foreclosure defense.
- Low Income Tax Clinic (LITC) – Federal (IRS) tax matters, including: audits and examinations, appeals, collection, Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), filing status and dependents, failure to file returns innocent spouse status, and independent contractor/employees.
- Migrant Farmworkers – Employment laws, housing conditions, public benefits, unemployment compensation and other issues affecting Wisconsin’s migrant farmworkers.
- SeniorLAW - SSI, Social Security, Medicare, Food Share, elder abuse and other issues affecting senior citizens in Milwaukee County.
- Social Security – Appeals of Social Security Disability (SSD-I) and Social Security (SSI) denials when private attorneys cannot be found.