Many low-income people need help with family law problems. Because we have a limited number of attorneys, our Family Law Priority Committee focuses primarily on helping family violence victims. We help victims protect their safety and independence and solve the civil legal problems that arise from the violence.
Our goals in the Family Law Priority Committee are to:
- Provide safety for families
- Sustain and support fragile families
- Ensure proper child custody jurisdiction
- Obtain a proper amount of financial support for the family
- Eliminate excessive or unlawful court and litigation fees
Most often, our Family Law Priority Committee handles the following types of cases:
- Domestic abuse and child abuse injunctions
- Divorce, legal separation, and annulment cases
- Maintenance and spousal support
- Child custody and placement
- Modification of divorce, paternity, custody, placement, maintenance, or child support judgments
- Uniform Child Custody Jurisdiction and Enforcement Act (UCCJEA) litigation
- Family law appeals
If you're a victim of family violence, contact Legal Action to learn whether Legal Action’s family law attorneys can help.