Volunteer Lawyer Project
Here's your chance to use your lawyering skills and truly make a difference.
The attorneys who volunteer their time through Legal Action's Volunteer Lawyers Project (VLP) donate more than 9,000 hours of civil legal aid to Legal Action clients each year. Our volunteer lawyers help people like these:
• A battered woman is evicted from her home because of an abusive boyfriend.
• A person who is mentally ill and has been forced into bankruptcy.
• An elderly homeowner faces collection on home-improvement work never performed.
The Benefits: Helping others, especially those who have no other options available, is often its own reward. However, volunteers in our projects gain far more than satisfaction. They also gain:
• Annual CLE training including professional-responsibilities training (FREE)
• Comprehensive practice manuals
• Experience in different areas of law
• Courtroom experience and client contact
• Malpractice insurance
• Projects and support to fulfill their pro bono obligations
• Flexibility - volunteers may accept or reject cases as their schedules allows
• Mentoring - work with attorneys who have years of experience with specific legal issues
To become a volunteer, call the VLP Project Coordinator at 414-278-7722 or toll free at 888-278-0633. Or, click this link for a list of current volunteer opportunities.